[GSoC] migration

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Fri Jun 23 01:29:19 UTC 2017

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 7:25 PM, Umesh Singla <umeshksingla at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
>     Taking a step back for a moment, why is an SQL database the best way
>     to store this data? What sorts of queries are you going to want to
>     run on it? Would a text (Tcl array) representation similar to the
>     PortIndex be a better fit?
>

> We need to store all the information about the existing state of the ports first, then uninstall all the ports and re-install on the updated OS after self-updating using the info we have in the database. So, we can't have a temporary kind of Tcl array representation.
>
> A Tcl array representation doesn't have to be temporary. It can easily be written to a file.
>
> If the only operations are going to be storing the list of ports and then reinstalling all the ports in the list, that says to me that SQL is much more complexity than you need.
>
> I'll check with my mentor. I may not have been clear in explaining the need for SQL or Tcl array representation could be an easy way go.

I assumed we would allow multiple snapshots and be able to chose from a list of snapshots by date-sequence.

For the migration functionality wouldn’t we only install “requested” ports? Dependencies could be different with a platform change.

Also, if the installed variants for a given port are the default variants would we want to ignore variants?

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)