Git autostash doesn't

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 22:51:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> > On Mar 9, 2017, at 14:18, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
> wrote:
> > Why won't it automatically stash? Usually it does, but apparently not
> when there are conflicts.
> >
> > The manpage for git pull warns that --autostash has edge
> cases/restrictions.
>
> I only see:

Gleh. I thought there was a full discussion in there somewhere, but I just
tried to chase it through git-rebase and git-config and neither had more
than the minimal warning. But I thought one of the issues people raised
against making autostash the default was specifically that there are nasty
edge cases other than the mentioned one of possibly leading to significant
conflicts when the stashed changes are applied.

That said, there is also the implicit one: it's only applicable if
rebasing. Merges will merge with your changes, not stash them; rebases need
to work from a tree that matches a series of upstream commits (possibly
with additional local commits, but no uncommitted changes) and force
stashing.