GSoC'17: Add migrate action to port command Project

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Fri Mar 24 04:08:46 UTC 2017

Hi Umesh,

First of all, Welcome to The MacPorts Project. We are always happy to
see new developers around.

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 4:30 AM, Umesh Singla <umeshksingla at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As we discussed on IRC, I've been looking into the project "Add migrate
> action to port command" and hoping to submit a draft proposal very soon.
> I'll need your help in putting up a nice proposal for sure.

Submitting a draft early is a good idea so that we could guide you
well in time. We had submitted a template for proposal on the
summerofcode.withgoogle.com page. Let me know if you are unable to
access it.

> I'm currently trying to acquaint myself with the MacPorts codebase and came
> across the Macports guide [0]. Thanks for keeping such guides for newbies.
> The project description points to a migration instruction guide [1],
> automating which is more or less the goal of the project, am I right?
>
> Since final submission deadline is close, I'll be grateful if someone can
> point me in the right direction for now and not waste time fiddling around.
>
> Also, @Jackson, I'm not able to find any discussion about this project on
> mailing list threads. Can you link me to them? I think they'll help me in
> understanding the need and expected outcomes by the community from this
> project and might give a better insight into the project.

It was in macports-users (I thought it was posted on macports-dev,
took me some time to search :P)
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-users/2017-March/042837.html

> @pixilla, if we need to discuss, what'd be the best time according to your
> timezone?

Pixilla,

Could you please guide the student on migration tool project.

Let us know if you face any issue(s).

--
Jackson Isaac