Congratulations to all the selected GSOC students and projects

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu May 4 18:49:30 UTC 2017

Dear students and developers,

Google just announced 1,318 projects selected for the GSOC 2017.

I'm happy to share with you that MacPorts got two slots for the
following projects:

- Umesh Singla:
  Adding migrate action to port command
  mentor: Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)

- "Zero King" (l2dy)
  Bot and CI for macports-ports
  mentors: Clemens Lang (cal/neverpanic) & Mojca Miklavec (mojca)

At this point I would like to express my gratitude to Jackson Isaac
who took over the administration and made sure that we applied in time
:)

Apart from (at least!) weekly meetings with the mentors, either via
our IRC channel (or somewhere else if more appropriate) we would like
to encourage the students to *publicly* interact with the community.
Ask questions on the mailing list and IRC, so that the rest of the
community will be kept up to date and will be able to help you even if
mentors will be temporarily offline.

Unless you have some issues of private nature that should not be read
by everyone, please try to avoid sending private emails for technical
discussions.

I suggest that we create a new entry for 2017 at
    https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeArchive
and add the description of projects to
    https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode2017

The time until the end of May is meant for community bonding period,
learning our codebase or any other tools needed to get up to speed by
the time the official coding period begins.

Project proposals/plans can still be improved or adapted by the end of
the month provided that both the student and mentor(s) agree to
changes.

To answer the (semi-serisous) question about what happens if the
project is finished way before the GSOC is over or whether it's OK to
start coding before the official coding period starts: this is of
course no problem as long a you keep in mind that it is desired to
keep coding and produce useful results until the end of the program.
(In particular: coding 16 hours per days and completing the project in
May and then quitting GSOC doesn't count.)

I hope that others will add more to this thread.

Mojca