Python 3.4

mf2k at macports.org mf2k at macports.org
Mon May 8 16:36:26 UTC 2017

Hi Mojca,

> On May 5, 2017, at 3:35 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Often a question of what to do with Python 3.4 modules gets raised now
> that Python 3.6 has been out for a while (but its support is not
> nearly complete).
>
> That is:
> - Should new ports include 34 subports or not?

I think we should not. I don’t want to get into the same situation as perl where we had so many different versions which made supporting the latest version even harder. Testing old versions ultimately slows down modules from getting updated.

> - Should we actively remove 34 subports?

When py35 and py36 have more sub-ports, then yes.

$ port list py34-* | wc -l
     654
$ port list py35-* | wc -l
     520
$ port list py36-* | wc -l
     323

I think we should strive to support the latest versions of python 2 and 3 only.

Cheers!
Frank