streamline github dev process

Helmut K. C. Tessarek tessarek at evermeet.cx
Tue May 30 18:23:27 UTC 2017

Hello,

Maybe we can streamline the github process a bit. As Mojca mentioned
earlier, the macports project is heavily understaffed.

Is there a way to allow maintainers to set labels? (e.g. the
'maintainer' or 'update' label)

Also you could block merges until 1 or 2 people have reviewed and
approved the change.
Maybe you could allow maintainers to review and approve other pull requests.

This is git. It's very easy to revert a broken commit. Since almost all
of these commits are not conflicting, it's even easier to do so.
I believe that we need more comitters, even if you just allow
maintainers to commit their own ports.

I do understand that a commit to this repo can affect a lot of people,
but on the other hand we need more traction and if a maintainer breaks
his port, he/she will have to fix it anyway.

Does any of my suggestions make any sense?

Cheers,
 K. C.

--
regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek