streamline github dev process

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 30 21:36:59 UTC 2017

> On May 30, 2017, at 13:23, Helmut K. C. Tessarek <tessarek at evermeet.cx> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Maybe we can streamline the github process a bit.

Sure. Those familiar with GitHub should chime in. I'm not familiar so I won't answer most of your questions, except:

> As Mojca mentioned
> earlier, the macports project is heavily understaffed.
>
> Is there a way to allow maintainers to set labels? (e.g. the
> 'maintainer' or 'update' label)
>
> Also you could block merges until 1 or 2 people have reviewed and
> approved the change.

Wouldn't requiring a certain number of reviews make things more difficult than they are now, where we don't require reviews?

> Maybe you could allow maintainers to review and approve other pull requests.
>
> This is git. It's very easy to revert a broken commit. Since almost all
> of these commits are not conflicting, it's even easier to do so.
> I believe that we need more comitters, even if you just allow
> maintainers to commit their own ports.

It's not allowed to revert a commit that has been pushed. It is possible to push a new commit that undoes the changes of a previous commit. But MacPorts has additional requirements. For example, if you update a port from version 1.0 to version 2.0 and then find that 2.0 is broken, you cannot undo it by making another commit that just changes the port back to version 1.0 again; you must also increase the port's epoch.