streamline github dev process

Sterling Smith smithsp at fusion.gat.com
Wed May 31 00:25:42 UTC 2017

On May 30, 2017, at 8:03PM, Helmut K. C. Tessarek <tessarek at evermeet.cx> wrote:

> On 2017-05-30 17:36, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Wouldn't requiring a certain number of reviews make things more
>> difficult than they are now, where we don't require reviews?
>
> Well, this depends. I haven't administered github projects for large
> groups, so I don't know if this is even possible with github.
>
> But I was thinking that new maintainers (with commit access), who still
> need to build up a reputation, have to have their PRs reviewed.
> Others can commit directly.
It is possible to limit who can push to specific branches for a given repo in GitHub.  It is possible to require a pull request to push to a given branch in GitHub.  It is possible to require positive reviews before a pull request can be merged (or squashed or rebased).

>> It's not allowed to revert a commit that has been pushed. It is
>> possible to push a new commit that undoes the changes of a previous
>> commit. But MacPorts has additional requirements. For example, if you
>> update a port from version 1.0 to version 2.0 and then find that 2.0
>> is broken, you cannot undo it by making another commit that just
>> changes the port back to version 1.0 again; you must also increase
>> the port's epoch.
>
> I was rather talking about the process and that it is very easy in git
> to rollback commits.
>
> Let's say commit xyz (v1.1) was bad.
>
> The maintainer now does the following:
>
> 1) git revert xyz
> 2) makes changes and sets v1.2
> 3) commit
> 4) git push
>
> The last 4 lines were local, so it is ok to have the version changed
> temporarily back to pre-1.1 in step 1 (the git revert).

Helmut,

This is only true if the bad commit xyz was not pushed to the master branch of the macports-ports repo.  If it was pushed, then the port's epoch would need to be changed per Ryan's comment.

-Sterling