Help needed: fix build issue with xdxf_makedict in older platforms

Leonardo Brondani Schenkel leonardo at schenkel.net
Tue Nov 7 19:43:06 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-07 20:21, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2017, at 13:19, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel wrote:
>
>> The plot thickens. I cannot even compile a small test program:
>>
>> $ cat test.cpp
>> #include <iostream>
>>
>> int main() {
>>         std::cout << "Hello world";
>>         return 0;
>> }
>>
>> $ clang-mp-5.0 test.cpp
>> ld: unexpected token: !tapi-tbd-v2 file '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.tbd' for architecture x86_64
>> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
>
> Are you using a linker that is compatible with the macOS 10.13 SDK? You may need to install the ld64 port with the +ld64_xcode variant.

No, I wasn't. I'm getting a little bit out of my comfort zone here
because I tend to stick to Xcode and its version of clang only and I
stopped programing in C++ a little bit before the '98 standardization. :-)

I did install the variant now via
$ sudo port -v install ld64 +ld64_xcode

And was able to get the same results as posted by Ken. Now at least I
can reproduce the build issue and I can give it a shot at fixing it.

Is there any good alternative to maintainers like myself who need to
eventually test on older macOS versions besides having to set up a VM
ourselves? I'm comfortable doing it in terms of technical expertise, but
it's still a bit time consuming. It would be great if we could somehow
spawn a remote VM identical to the build slave that would live for a few
hours and we had ssh access to... I'm fully aware of the complications
of doing it (plus the lack of resources), but I still want my pony...

// Leonardo.