How to organize bootstrapping phase of cross-compiler?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Nov 7 22:35:39 UTC 2017

Hi,

A while ago I packaged MinGW's gcc and left out one optional step, but
I need that one now.

The procedure is as follows:

(a) install a bunch of dependencies

(b) compile gcc to phase 1 (I currently call that port
i686-w64-mingw32-gcc-bootstrap)

(c) install some more files (i686-w64-mingw32-crt)
    At that point I need gcc, but either phase 1, 2 or a fully fledged
compiler would do

    I now use:
    depends_build-append bin:${mingw_target}-gcc:${mingw_target}-gcc-bootstrap

(d) compile gcc to phase 2 (I currently call that port i686-w64-mingw32-gcc)

=> new optional steps

(e) install winpthreads library
    At that point I need gcc, but either phase 2 or full compiler would do

(f) compile gcc again: now we have a complete installation

What would be suitable names for intermediate phases and how could I
write the dependency for winpthreads in a proper way?

Thank you,
    Mojca

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/cross/i686-w64-mingw32-gcc/Portfile
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/cross/mingw-w64/Portfile