maintaining packages in macports vs. in a language package manager

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Nov 17 02:15:44 UTC 2017

I'm slowly cleaning up the OCaml ports.

One of the things of note is that these days (and this wasn't true a
couple of years ago), OCaml encourages the use of the "opam" package
manager, which is something like the Ruby "Gems" system or various
other language specific package managers.

0) How do we handle builds of ports where the language maintainers
really would prefer that some language-specific package manager build
the package?

1) Given that there are 289 ocaml- ports in devel/, should we have a
category for ocaml the way we do for ruby?

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com