Should somebody with my profile apply for commit rights?

Leonardo Brondani Schenkel leonardo at schenkel.net
Sun Oct 1 19:41:20 UTC 2017

Continuing of the subject of MacPorts workflow, I would like to ask the
list what's the best path forward for somebody like me.

I currently maintain 13 ports, I have a couple of new submissions
pending, and I occasionally open PRs against other ports. I don't think
I'm a big or expert contributor, but I do think I already crossed the
threshold of being able to ask for commit rights.

The reason I didn't is because I don't mind creating PRs, getting them
reviewed, etc. In fact I do like the fact that there's a second pair of
eyes taking a look at what I do, even though I think I have a good track
record of submitting acceptable diffs that most of the time go through
without extra tweaking (naturally, like any other I do make mistakes
sometimes). However, I have to admit it can be a bit frustrating to have
to wait many days for small/trivial changes (not always, but
occasionally) and eventually 30+ days for something bigger like a port
submission — even though the average is not that bad.

I can't help but think if I'm actually helping the project in refraining
from getting commit rights, if it's indeed the case that I'm qualified
to do so. Since my perception is that there is a problem of lack of
staff, maybe I shouldn't be making another staff member to be spending
time reviewing my work when they could be reviewing other contributions
from more junior members instead?

If I had commit rights, I would exercise them only on the ports I'm the
sole maintainer for (also making sure I'm not conflicting with anybody
else) and for all others I would still go through the normal GitHub PR
process and involve the maintainers.

Any feedback on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
// Leonardo.