Should somebody with my profile apply for commit rights?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 2 06:11:15 UTC 2017

> On Oct 1, 2017, at 14:41, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel <leonardo at schenkel.net> wrote:
>
> Continuing of the subject of MacPorts workflow, I would like to ask the list what's the best path forward for somebody like me.
>
> I currently maintain 13 ports, I have a couple of new submissions pending, and I occasionally open PRs against other ports. I don't think I'm a big or expert contributor, but I do think I already crossed the threshold of being able to ask for commit rights.
>
> The reason I didn't is because I don't mind creating PRs, getting them reviewed, etc. In fact I do like the fact that there's a second pair of eyes taking a look at what I do, even though I think I have a good track record of submitting acceptable diffs that most of the time go through without extra tweaking (naturally, like any other I do make mistakes sometimes). However, I have to admit it can be a bit frustrating to have to wait many days for small/trivial changes (not always, but occasionally) and eventually 30+ days for something bigger like a port submission — even though the average is not that bad.
>
> I can't help but think if I'm actually helping the project in refraining from getting commit rights, if it's indeed the case that I'm qualified to do so. Since my perception is that there is a problem of lack of staff, maybe I shouldn't be making another staff member to be spending time reviewing my work when they could be reviewing other contributions from more junior members instead?
>
> If I had commit rights, I would exercise them only on the ports I'm the sole maintainer for (also making sure I'm not conflicting with anybody else) and for all others I would still go through the normal GitHub PR process and involve the maintainers.
>
> Any feedback on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> // Leonardo.

Leonardo,

Please do send in an email to portmgr requesting commit access. I would welcome having you as a committer.

Even once you have commit access and you can commit without going through a pull request, your contributions will get reviewed by developers like me reading the macports-changes mailing list, so there's not much danger of a problem going unnoticed. And of course if you're not sure about a change you can still make PRs or ask on the macports-dev mailing list.

Just modifying your own ports is a good place to start, but the nice thing about having commit access is that you can then dive in and fix any problem you find in other ports. Many of our ports are unmaintained and are in need of some attention. While you may not initially know much about other ports, often updating some random port to the latest version can be accomplished trivially, and is an easy way to help keep the MacPorts collection up to date. And since you know about pull requests, handling other developers' PRs is another way you can contribute.

\r