Dealing with Xcode 9 + macOS <= 10.12 and missing functions

Leonardo Brondani Schenkel leonardo at schenkel.net
Mon Oct 2 05:39:41 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-29 13:30, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I don't know if I'm the author of the mail you're thinking of, but I've surely commented on this matter before. It's Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia's work on master I was referring to.
>
> I haven't tested that work. But at least with MacPorts 2.4.1 I perceived that not having an SDK matching the running OS version would be a problem for some ports, so I didn't update our OS X 10.11 buildbot worker from Xcode 7 to 8, and similarly I won't update our macOS 10.12 worker from Xcode 8 to 9.

Yes, that's right. The mail I have seen was about some commits from
Jeremy, now you reminded me. Thanks.

What if MacPorts outputted a warning when there's a SDK mismatch (maybe
pointing users to the right version of Xcode to use)? In my case, when
Xcode was updated I didn't know it had the 10.13 SDK until ports started
failing, and it would have saved me a bit of troubleshooting. Is it a
worthwhile idea to implement?

// Leonardo.