Server issues?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 8 15:55:25 UTC 2017

On Sep 8, 2017, at 10:51, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 9:37 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> That'll happen when a huge port gets built and the resulting packages must be transferred between my private rsync server and the public one. In this case, it was probably that clang-devel, llvm-devel, and lldb-devel were updated, and this produced many large binaries (six 900MB binaries for clang-devel; seven 750MB binaries for llvm-devel; two 275MB binaries for lldb-devel).
>>
>> I do intend to increase the speed of the internet connection soon so that this will be less of a problem.
>
> Would it be reasonable to move things around so we're not dependent on your (presumably consumer-class) internet connection?

What would you suggest move, where?

Last I looked into moving the Xserves to a data center, colocation was extremely expensive.

My Internet connection is not consumer-class. If it were a consumer connection, it would be much faster and much cheaper, but ISPs does not allow running servers on consumer connections, so it is an expensive and slow business-class connection.

As I said, I plan to increase the speed of the connection; the ISP has changed their offering since I originally set it up and it should be possible now to get a faster connection for the same price.