Server issues?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Sep 8 16:08:42 UTC 2017

On Sep 8, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2017, at 10:51, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> On Sep 7, 2017, at 9:37 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> That'll happen when a huge port gets built and the resulting packages must be transferred between my private rsync server and the public one. In this case, it was probably that clang-devel, llvm-devel, and lldb-devel were updated, and this produced many large binaries (six 900MB binaries for clang-devel; seven 750MB binaries for llvm-devel; two 275MB binaries for lldb-devel).
>>>
>>> I do intend to increase the speed of the internet connection soon so that this will be less of a problem.
>>
>> Would it be reasonable to move things around so we're not dependent on your (presumably consumer-class) internet connection?
>
> What would you suggest move, where?

I don't know how the current infrastructure is set up - so I can't make concrete suggestions.

MacPorts is used pretty widely - I would be surprised if there was no one at an ISP or University who could offer us some space/power/bandwidth. [I may be able to help find some place like that, if it were desired].

> Last I looked into moving the Xserves to a data center, colocation was extremely expensive.

MacStadium seems to have pretty reasonable pricing (mini with gigE for $54/month), but again I don't know what our infrastructure requires.

> My Internet connection is not consumer-class. If it were a consumer connection, it would be much faster and much cheaper, but ISPs does not allow running servers on consumer connections, so it is an expensive and slow business-class connection.

If we don't care about having static IP addresses for these machines, I have a 2 post rack in my basement that's mostly empty and a 1gig consumer connection that I'd be happy to share with the project.

> As I said, I plan to increase the speed of the connection; the ISP has changed their offering since I originally set it up and it should be possible now to get a faster connection for the same price.

ok.

--
Daniel J. Luke