Server issues?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 9 13:56:15 UTC 2017

On Sep 8, 2017, at 17:50, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2017-09-08 18:48, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> One solution might be to separate the build/distfile mirroring from the portfile mirroring. You could probably even do that by running separate rsync's for those on your home connection and doing some QoS setup to depref the build uploads (so they wouldn't block portfile updates).
>
> We have gone a almost a full year without distfile mirroring. We really
> should get it back. If we cannot deploy it on Ryan's servers because of
> the bandwidth congestion, let's find another solution.
>
> Should we look into running the distfile mirroring job on braeburn, our
> server that also hosts website, Trac, and mailing lists? It is a Linux
> system, but we have done it this way previously. Other ideas?
>
> Similarly, the jobs for updating the website, guide, and man pages have
> all been written for the buildbot, but were never deployed...

Bandwidth issues are not the reason these buildbot tasks were not deployed. The reason is I'm not 100% certain what I need to do to deploy them, and deploying them involves putting configuration I don't understand onto the live buildbot server, possibly causing the entire live buildbot server to stop working. I guess I just need to try it, and if there are problems, revert to a known-good config and ask for help.

>>> We do currently have a single static IP with ports 80, 443, and 873 open for the buildbot web site and the rsync server. Although it is not entirely working at the moment, the server is also supposed to be sending emails on failed builds; my understanding is that sending mail from a dynamic address makes other servers more likely to classify the message as spam.
>> it shouldn't if it's set up correctly (ie. to relay through a smarthost).
>
> We could of course route the mails over braeburn. However, the mails for
> macports-builds@ have stopped as well and there was not even a single
> incoming connection from your static IP, so the current problem is not
> related to spam checks at all.

I didn't realize mails had stopped sending to the macports-builds as well. It looks like this coincides with the last time the server that runs the buildmaster was restarted. I don't know why that caused mails to stop sending.