Pull request types in template on GitHub

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Sep 11 13:00:35 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-11 11:49, Zero King wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 02:28:46PM +0000, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> our GitHub pull request template [1] contains the following snippet
>> which is used by the macportsbot to assign the corresponding label to it.
>>
>> ###### Type(s)
>> <!-- update (title contains ": U(u)pdate to"), submission (new Portfile)
>> and CVE Identifiers are auto-detected, replace [ ] with [x] to select -->
>> - [ ] bugfix
>> - [ ] enhancement
>> - [ ] security fix
>>
>> However, GitHub interpretes this as a list of tasks. This means that
>> with that list alone with one entry selected, the pull request will be
>> displayed with the note "1 of 3" and a progress bar next to it in the
>> list of pull requests.
>>
>> Could we switch to a different syntax to avoid that?
>
> Sure we can, but what syntax to use instead?

Not entirely sure either.

Option 1: radio buttons

###### Type(s)
<!-- update (title contains ": U(u)pdate to"), submission (new Portfile)
and CVE Identifiers are auto-detected, replace ( ) with (x) to select -->

 - ( ) bugfix
 - ( ) enhancement
 - ( ) security fix

Unfortunately, this will not be rendered by GitHub-Flavored Markdown in
the same way that checkboxes are.

Option 2: plain-text field with list in comment

###### Type
<!-- auto-detected: updates by title containing "update to",
submission for new Portfiles, and security fixes by CVE identifiers.
For others, please fill in below: bugfix, enhancement, or security fix
-->

Category:

This would be a bit more error-prone, but should be good enough.

Rainer