Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2018

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Sep 26 05:37:55 UTC 2017

On 26 September 2017 at 06:55, Jackson Isaac wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:37 AM, Umesh Singla wrote:
> >
> > Have we ever participated in GCI before?
>
> Not yet. But we are open to volunteers. Let me know if anyone is
> interested in mentoring.

>From what I understand mentoring GCI requires a lot more volunteers
and man-hours for preparation than GSOC. And a typical number of
selected organisations was below 20, a few orders of magnitude less
than what GSOC was hosting. We would need quite some really devoted
volunteers to set up the ground for GCI. Before we have the people and
the ball rolling, it hardly makes sense to even start discussing.

> Also, we can start putting forward our ideas early on and listing
> potential mentors, so that it will help to decide if we should apply
> next year again or not.

They moved the registration date to January, much earlier than in the
previous years. So in fact it wouldn't hurt to start collecting ideas
soon. But most of all it would make sense to put up some guidelines
for the students. Many other organisations have very strict rules for
students before they even take a look at their proposal, like having
to create at least some patches etc. There's no need to be overly
strict, but it would make sense to set some clear guidelines and make
it clear to the students what they should do if they want to prepare a
successful proposal.

Most important, I would be in favour of making a relatively strong
suggestion to submit their proposal at least 10 days before the
official deadline, so that there's enough time to polish or adjust the
proposal in time.

Mojca