Dealing with Xcode 9 + macOS <= 10.12 and missing functions

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 29 11:30:57 UTC 2017

On Sep 29, 2017, at 05:08, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel wrote:

> On 2017-09-29 12:02, Joshua Root wrote:
>> Well, our installation instructions say to install the Command Line Tools, which avoids this problem. I guess we could try setting MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED explicitly, but unlike MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET, it isn't picked up from the environment by the compiler driver, so a lot of ports would require special handling to get it into the CPPFLAGS.
>
> That's correct, I'm aware. But I also saw in this list (and correct me if I'm wrong) the mention of work being done to remove the CLT requirement in future MacPorts versions, and making sure that the SDK used corresponds to the version you're running.
>
> This was mentioned in the recent mail that I mentioned seeing recently, but couldn't find in the archives. If you're the author of that mail and you're reading this, could you please chime in? Thanks.

I don't know if I'm the author of the mail you're thinking of, but I've surely commented on this matter before. It's Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia's work on master I was referring to.

I haven't tested that work. But at least with MacPorts 2.4.1 I perceived that not having an SDK matching the running OS version would be a problem for some ports, so I didn't update our OS X 10.11 buildbot worker from Xcode 7 to 8, and similarly I won't update our macOS 10.12 worker from Xcode 8 to 9.