Gsoc 18 Project | Collect build statistics

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Apr 3 15:51:40 UTC 2018

Dear Vishnu,

On 3 April 2018 at 16:56, Vishnu wrote:
> Regarding mini django project. What would you suggest i do?
>
> I was thinking on code to populate the port table from portindex.json
>
> Would that act as a sample for my Coding skill?
> Or should i do something else?

That sounds ok and is in fact needed for any other step of the project.

Don't bother too much about proper implementation of maintainers,
variants and dependencies. (And in particular don't even try to bother
about storing historic changes of port versions that you planned in
the spreadsheet.) If you do need an additional challenge, you can try
to populate another table "categories" with many-to-many relation to
ports, but that's bonus (only if you have extra time), so don't worry
too much about it either.

If you can populate the database and get a basic port listing at
    {url}/port/{name},
like for example
    http://localhost/port/python27
giving you a subset of the HTML that you sent us earlier, that should be fine.

I sent you a portindex a while ago, so I hope you have all the
information you need.

> Not clear about what document you are talking about perfecting.

I sent you feedback about that HTML, so you could improve that
document, but it doesn't make too much sense to do this now.

Mojca