CI system for PR builds

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Apr 7 22:14:43 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-07 07:40, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> - with a bit of legal questionability
>>
>> From my understanding, it is legal to virtualize macOS, as long as the
>> hypervisor is running on a Mac as well, which is possible.
>
> I'm aware that it's legal to virtualize macOS on mac hardware, it's
> just not 100% clear to me that all of the steps involved in setting up
> libvirt images are 100% OK. (Can those same images be used on Linux
> unmodified? If so, I would at least imagine that preparing them
> requires the knowledge of a special "key" that's available in the
> above mentioned repo. I don't know though.)

They are not "libvirt images". This refers to using qemu as hypervisor.
On a Mac, you might as well use Parallels or VMware Fusion as hypervisor
and control this hypervisor via libvirt.

The general idea is that if you program against the libvirt API, you can
transparently switch the hypervisor backend and everything keeps
working. Of course here are limitations in practice, as not all
hypervisors offer the same functionality or expose everything with a
scriptable interface. But the basics such as starting and stopping, or
creating new VMs based on a template should work for all of them.

Rainer