Releasing 2.4.3

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:55:49 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-10, at 11:47 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:

>> I don't want to release 2.4.3 with the libstdc++ ABI issue unanswered. I believe it will cause problems.
>
> Then we should revert this change for 2.4.3 and we have one more reason
> to go for a 2.4.4 release.
>
> Rainer

I would have like to set libgcc to ABI4 mode, at least on PPC, to fix this forever, but Jeremy felt this was undesirable. Perhaps we might still consider doing that, though, at least on PPC.

Two other easy options:

1. add the required *ABI=0 flag by default to all cxx builds on PPC. This would be completely fine I believe. More desirable.

2. wait for builds to fail to link (they will, on 10.6 to 10.8 and PPC if the linking doesn't work, as we have all seen) then add the cxx11 PortGroup as we do now when we see this failure. Less desirable.

or revert it if you want, and we can do it some day in the future.

Best,

ken

Ken