Releasing 2.4.3

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 10 19:02:15 UTC 2018

On Apr 10, 2018, at 13:55, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> On 2018-04-10, at 11:47 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't want to release 2.4.3 with the libstdc++ ABI issue unanswered. I believe it will cause problems.
>>
>> Then we should revert this change for 2.4.3 and we have one more reason
>> to go for a 2.4.4 release.
>>
>> Rainer
>

> I would have like to set libgcc to ABI4 mode, at least on PPC, to fix this forever, but Jeremy felt this was undesirable. Perhaps we might still consider doing that, though, at least on PPC.
>
> Two other easy options:
>
> 1. add the required *ABI=0 flag by default to all cxx builds on PPC. This would be completely fine I believe. More desirable.

And then after MacPorts 2.4.3 release, revbump any ports that were built with *ABI=1, and add to them an invocation of macports_version and vercmp to ensure they're being rebuilt by 2.4.3 or later.

> 2. wait for builds to fail to link (they will, on 10.6 to 10.8 and PPC if the linking doesn't work, as we have all seen) then add the cxx11 PortGroup as we do now when we see this failure. Less desirable.

Mixing libc++ and libstdc++ results in a link failure. Mixing old libstdc++ and new libstdc++ did not previously result in a link failure; it resulted in a runtime crash which was difficult to diagnose and attribute to this problem. That was back before gcc5. I don't know things have changed.