New guide section on Git and GitHub

Perry E. Metzger pmetzger at macports.org
Wed Apr 11 22:33:19 UTC 2018

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 18:19:50 -0400 Andrew Moore <slewsys at gmail.com>
wrote:
> My impression from the mailing list is that going forward Trac
> would be used exclusively for bug reports.  Any code submissions
> would ideally be submitted as pull requests to GitHub.

That's both true and not quite true. I think ultimately we'll be
going to that but for the moment we're easing in to it. The document
currently says, in effect, "we strongly prefer GitHub pulls over Trac
for code submissions."

I figure that ultimately it will indeed say "please
only submit code by GitHub" but I don't think we have consensus on
that yet. (If I'm wrong and we do have consensus, someone should feel
free to make that even stronger in the document.)

> If so, this
> change needs to put front and center, in large display type.
>
> Section 7 “MacPorts Projects” should begin:  SUBMIT CODE AS GITHUB
> PULL. REQUESTS.  IF YOU JUST WANT TO $#!@, PLEASE USE TRAC -AM

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		pmetzger at macports.org