New guide section on Git and GitHub

Andrew Moore slewsys at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:30:56 UTC 2018

As someone who only reads the manual as last resort, I think Section 7 of the MacPorts Guide could be retitled from “MacPorts Project” to “Contributing to MacPorts”.  And then steps for creating pull requests via GitHub spelled out tutorial-wise.  Perhaps steal an existing tutorial <https://yangsu.github.io/pull-request-tutorial/>.  But there are additional workflows and tricks like `git config receive.denyCurrentBranch updateInstead’ that might be worth sharing with contributors (the last trick is useful for syncing clones across multiple machines).

While I appreciate the intent, I think “easing into” GitHub is more obfuscating, and actually adds an extra hurdle for contributors.  For instance the section immediately following “Using Git and GitHub” is titled “New Ports” and proceeds with steps for contributing a Trac ticket.

Okay, so when all is said and done, am I actually prepared to make an actual contribution?  Perhaps it merits a topic of discussion for the online meeting how MacPorts wants to present itself.  I’d like to see one of MacPorts’s goals be towards non-profit status, and ultimately to attract the attention of Apple again.  Apple needs MacPorts desperately, they just don’t know it yet…
-AM