Regarding acl2 Port

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Apr 16 08:13:18 UTC 2018

Hi,

----- On 16 Apr, 2018, at 07:10, Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org wrote:

> I was working on updating the acl2 port version from 3.5 to 8.0
>
> There has been lot of changes ever since to upstream. They moved to github
> and the stable versions are released under 'acl2-devel' username
> instead of acl2 (upstream).

I think acl2-devel is the one to go with here. Consider their descriptions
on GitHub:

 acl2: ACL2 System and Books as Maintained by the Community
 acl2-devel: ACL2 System as Maintained by the ACL2 System Authors

The former seems de-facto unmaintaineed.

> I was thinking to obsolete acl2 and move the new port to acl2-devel.

I'd just package acl2-devel in the acl2 port.

> I would also like to know how do I test all the variants and different
> phases that are mentioned in initial Portfile. There were lot of
> things that didn't work correctly with updated version but I was able
> to pin point to only errors that I encountered (by running just port
> -d build/destroot/install acl2) but there might be other changes too
> that may be required. Do we run each and every variant combination and
> test the portfile or is there any easy way to do so (maybe run a build
> bot job ?).

There's no easy way to test variant combinations. With acl2's 5 variants,
testing each combination would already mean starting 32 builds. This is
computationally not feasible.

I usually test each variant separately, and sometimes all variants
together.

--
Clemens Lang