Allow access to a file in trace mode

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 19 22:02:54 UTC 2018

On Apr 19, 2018, at 07:54, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2018-04-19 12:44, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> If I try to build minivmac in trace mode (sudo port -t install minivmac) it fails because:
>>
>> Warning: The following existing files were hidden from the build system by trace mode:
>>  /Applications/MacPorts/Mini vMac/vMac.ROM
>>
>> The minivmac build requires access to this file. The file is not provided by any port; it must be provided by the user. How can I allow access to this file in trace mode in this port?
>
> There is no way to extend the trace mode bounds from a Portfile.
>
> Files inside ${prefix} not provided by any port may be accessed, but not
> outside ${prefix}. This is a workaround to allow access to cache files
> such as the XML catalog or the GTK icon cache.
>
> If these ROM files for the build are not distributable, how can the
> result of this port be distributable under a GPL-2 license? That would
> imply that the ROM does not end up in the build results at all.

Correct, the ROM file does not end up in the build result. Rather, the ROM file is needed to run a bootstrap copy of the Mini vMac application to perform the configure step.

The Mini vMac program only searches for the ROM file in certain known locations, one of them being the same directory where the app is. I suppose I could patch it to also look in a location in prefix.