Migrating the guide to AsciiDoc

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Mon Apr 23 08:42:40 UTC 2018

On Apr 23 10:12:06, hans at stare.cz wrote:
> > > We are already using the AsciiDoc format for our man pages,
> >
> > Manpages are supposed to be written in mdoc(7), the language of
> > manpages, just like e.g. /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1 is.
> >
> > The current port-* manpages are horrible
> > (not talking about content, but markup).
> >
> > Look at e.g. port-diagnose.1; read it, line by line.
> > Note the 2008 workarounds to debian bugs.
> > Note the 2009 workarouns to GNU roff.
> > Note the pointless low-level roff(7) tweaks.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2014-02/msg00109.html

Also, having manpages written in asciidoc means we need
the abominable docbook to actually produce the man(7) pages, right?
At least that's what it says at the end of install:

	* Warning: Using pre-generated man pages only.
	* asciidoc, xsltproc (port libxslt) and docbook-xsl are required
	  to generate man pages from source.

Jan