Migrating the guide to AsciiDoc

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Apr 23 11:17:30 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-23 10:42, Jan Stary wrote:
> Also, having manpages written in asciidoc means we need
> the abominable docbook to actually produce the man(7) pages, right?
> At least that's what it says at the end of install:
>
> 	* Warning: Using pre-generated man pages only.
> 	* asciidoc, xsltproc (port libxslt) and docbook-xsl are required
> 	  to generate man pages from source.

That is correct, DocBook XML is used because AsciiDoc has no native
backend to produce man pages.

However, AsciiDoctor has a native backend for man pages [1], which does
not require the additional step through DocBook XML. If you, or anyone
else, wants to look into switching the man page generation in base from
AsciiDoc to AsciiDoctor, that would be appreciated.

Rainer

[1]
https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/blob/master/lib/asciidoctor/converter/manpage.rb