[macports-ports] branch master updated: collectd: update to 5.8.0

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:56:24 UTC 2018

> On Apr 24, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Perry E. Metzger <pmetzger at macports.org> wrote:
>

>> I wouldn't consider version updates to be a minor change permitted
>> by openmaintainer. All too often they are not in fact "simple".
>
> I do, in fact, consider it that way, and I need some way of telling
> people they should feel free to do simple version updates my ports
> without asking me. I'd suggest that if you don't want that to be
> possible, maybe you don't want openmaintainer on your ports? Or
> maybe, even better, we need some way of indicating various gradations
> of policy?

This is a good discussion to have. MacPorts has at times in the past bogged down rather impressively with PRs, ticket submissions, and updates sitting for so long people lost interest. I know I very nearly did.

The policy has opened up clearly, and things are committed now with what feels like about 5% of the scrutiny they once were, in 1% of the time. This is in part courtesy of Travis, and in part because Perry is jumping on them so quickly committing them if we don’t review them fast enough :>  — which is great, but feels different than how it’s been, which is good, but hopefully not bad if something breaks, if you get my drift.

Most of the new submissions and PRs seem to be working out — Ryan and a few others are backstopping the rather few glaring errors very efficiently, and the rest “just work”. It feels better. People should like it better. It’s not a waste of time to submit something. I’m getting used to it.

Waiting for the maintainer to review the ticket submission someday often resulted in months of nothing happening, or years.

Maybe this is better. I think it is. Is it?

Ken