Gsoc 18 Project | Collect build statistics

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Apr 25 13:39:23 UTC 2018

On 25 April 2018 at 14:45, Vishnu wrote:
> Hello
>
> Succesfully ran the portindex2json.
> and saved it ino a json.
>
> So what next?

Wonderful, that's very good news, that will make it much easier to
proceed with the rest of the tasks.

Now:
- play a bit with "port search python", "port info python27", ...
- try to install some super simple packages[***]
- try to run "port -v livecheck category:math" to see if you can get
livecheck running correctly (you'll need that info)
- try to install "sudo port install mpstats", then "port contents
mpstats"; if successful, you should see a new entry at
    http://stats.macports.neverpanic.de/os_statistics#os_platform
  I forgot the exact command, but there's a way to show what will be
submitted, I guess you can find that out by inspecting the source or
by running help or something
(I'm not behind my mac at the moment)

Just try to get familiar with the "port" command and then proceed to
whatever other point you want, like

- trying to get buildbot master and slave installed (I guess you can
install them from the native package manager; alternatively via
virtualenv which gives you slightly more flexibility in picking up the
exact version that you want); the next step would be to try to
replicate our setup, see
    https://github.com/macports/macports-infrastructure/tree/master/buildbot

- converting the application (without personal details) into
documentation/plan in a git(hub) repository (something like a markdown
document)

- (lower priority) proceeding with the simple html page that you
started working on as a coding challenge, as part of improving &
finalizing the plan for the summer

- any other item from suggestions sent earlier

Mojca

[***] It's hard to tell what "simple packages" are, but if "platforms"
contains "linux", there's at least a somewhat bigger chance that it
will compile correctly. I guess you can expect a number of failures
because the number of macports users on linux is super limited. Also,
the build time might be somewhat high since everything needs to be
compiled from source. A package like "mpstats" should be simple enough
though, I assume you can find some others. Avoid anything that depends
on Qt.