Agility

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Apr 25 18:20:15 UTC 2018

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 11:08:10 -0700 Ken Cunningham
<ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
> A nearly completed patch that needs a few tweaks is one thing.
>
> A PR list full of [WIP] PRs that have gone nowhere for six or
> twelve months like I see in some projects is another. That is just
> noise.

Agreed. But we have a tool to deal with this. Git's branches
are quite nice, you can view a branch as people work on it, and people
can even invite others to edit a branch they have in their personal
repo. You can alert others to the existence of the branch and publish
a link to it.

> I guess it depends on judgement. The protobuf thing is an example.
> That should have been a trac ticket, rather than sitting in the PR
> list for a year, IMHO.

Agreed as well. On the other hand, that was less obvious when there
was a very long PR queue.

Just to be clear: I think it's very valuable to have a _short_ PR
queue. It really does keep things from getting lost.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com