[macports-base] 01/06: fetch: Always use ${prefix}/bin/git for gitfetch

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 30 02:14:23 UTC 2018

On Apr 18, 2018, at 03:15, Jan Stary wrote:

> On Apr 17 14:33:12, Rainer Mueller wrote:
>>> https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2018-March/037750.html
>>
>> The previous code always used /usr/bin/git, even if the git port was
>> installed. Only old versions of macOS got to use the latest version of
>> git, while recent versions of macOS were stuck with /usr/bin/git.
>
> What versions of MacOS are "stuck" with what version of git?

You can boot up different versions of macOS and find out what's installed; I did that before but I don't want to do it again right now.

> What specific problems does it lead to?
>
>> That does not seem to be a useful default to me,
>
> Why?
>
>> therefore it made sense
>> to me to always use the latest version from ${prefix}/bin/git.
>
> This requiring of the latest version of everything for anything
> is a desease. I have a /usr/bin/git that works just fine.
> (I also have a /usr/bin/python that works just fine, etc.)
> Don't make me install a newer version because it is newer.

GitHub recently changed their server configuration, and they now require support for newer TLS protocols. For this reason, versions of git provided in OS X 10.10 Yosemite and earlier can no longer connect to GitHub. Being able to connect to GitHub is fairly important for MacPorts, so MacPorts 2.4.4 will require MacPorts git on those older OS versions, when installing a port that fetches using git.

Rainer wanted to always depend on MacPorts git for a different reason: his changes in the vcs-fetch branch parse some git output, and the format of that output changed in some git version. He knew what version of git he needed, but he didn't want to figure out which versions of macOS came with which versions of git, so he just always used the version from MacPorts. From my earlier research into the GitHub TLS situation, I had already determined that the version of git Apple provides in OS X 10.11 El Capitan and newer is greater than the minimum version Rainer requires for vcs-fetch, so there is no need change which git MacPorts uses further than what we're already changing for 2.4.4.