Strange behaviour of trace mode in MacPorts 2.4.3 / 10.13

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 30 03:52:51 UTC 2018

On Apr 29, 2018, at 22:49, Helmut K. C. Tessarek wrote:

> On 2018-04-29 22:02, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Nothing hmm. The port doesn't declare a dependency on pkgconfig, therefore trace mode hides the pkg-config executable from the build system. The build system needs pkg-config however, so it errors. Add a dependency on pkgconfig, and anything else it needs. This is one of the primary purposes of trace mode: to help you identify dependencies you've forgotten to add.
> I did what you said and added pkgconfig as a build dependency.
>
> Now I got the following:
> Travis Build #2100 Errored.
>
> Lint results
>
> Port fontforge success on xcode9.3. Log

Looks like Travis failed to upload the log, because it couldn't resolve the host paste.macports.org. We've seen this happen before and I don't think we know yet what to do about it. It has nothing to do with your port, however, so you can ignore it.

> Before the change it looked like this:
>
> Travis Build #2099 Passed.
>
> Lint results
> --->  Verifying Portfile for fontforge
> --->  0 errors and 0 warnings found.
>

> Port fontforge success on xcode9.3. Log
> Port fontforge success on xcode8.3. Log
> Port fontforge success on xcode7.3. Log
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1674#issuecomment-385301425

The build succeeded before, despite the fact that you didn't have a pkgconfig dependency, because for some reason on Travis pkgconfig is always installed. It isn't always installed on user systems or on the buildbot workers, which is why it would have failed there without the dependency declared.