macports rot

Calvin Ardi calvin at isi.edu
Fri Dec 14 23:44:05 UTC 2018

Hi Nils,

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 09:13:38AM +0100, Nils Breunese wrote:
> For instance, yesterday I wanted to try out Hugo. It’s available in
> MacPorts, but the Hugo site only mentions Homebrew, binary download
> and building from source as installation options [1]. I think it might
> pay off if maintainers would pay more attention to this.
>
> Nils.
>
> [1] https://gohugo.io/getting-started/installing#pick-your-method

I am (at the moment) the package maintainer for Hugo.

Thanks for the comments. Publicizing the MacPorts package for Hugo, on
the Hugo site, is a great idea. I haven't looked into it because
Hugo's publicity hadn't crossed my mind, nor am I involved in the
upstream project in any way (my primary motivation for maintaining the
Portfile is driven by my own desire to use Hugo).

As a new-ish maintainer, I do rely heavily on the MacPorts Guide [1], so
something like "notify upstream about the MacPorts package" might be a
good item to add on a checklist in Portfile Development.

--calvin

[1] https://guide.macports.org/