GSoC 2018 Collect Build Statistics Project

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Feb 14 11:23:24 UTC 2018

On 14 February 2018 at 11:30, Umesh Singla wrote:
> Hi Ayush
>
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> Dear Ayush,
>>
>> Can you please write to the macports-devel mailing list instead? We
>> would like to avoid private discussions regarding GSOC unless it's
>> about sensitive/personal issues.
>

> Subscribe to the list at
> https://lists.macports.org/mailman/listinfo/macports-dev, so that others can
> also provide inputs on it. All the mentors are subscribed to the mailing
> list as well so emailing the mailing list is equivalent to emailing all of
> the mentors.

Thanks for jumping in and explaining a bit more in detail.

>> On 13 February 2018 at 13:50, Ayush Agrawal wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am interested in working on project "Collect Build Statistics" under
>> > your
>> > mentorship for the GSoC 2018 . I have pretty much experience of working
>> > in
>> > python and JSON in different projects. Hence i would like to work on
>> > this
>> > project.
>>

>> > I also wanted to ask whether this project can be done without Mac or not
>> > ?

In theory it can be done without a mac, *BUT* ...

Unless the project would end up being nearly as cool as
https://repology.org (that depends on your proposal), this task alone
is probably not enough to fill the whole summer. It would be super
super useful for us to get the statistics, but that task alone is
probably too short and being able to use a Mac would broaden the
spectrum of possibilities to chose from. Other similar tasks that
could also in theory be done without a mac include:

- making a better website with nice browsable package listings,
showing for each package whether it's outdated, build statistics,
links to dependencies, link to usage statistics, ...
- working in collaboration with buildbot and implement the missing
functionality in buildbot for our needs (that includes lots of python,
probably also css, js, ...)

Being able to use MacPorts would probably help you understand the
needs or allow you to test some aspects, fix or implement minor things
that you might need during the course of your work. (In theory
MacPorts should be buildable on Linux as well.)

We could certainly use a highly qualified web developer even without
access to mac, it would require to occasionally do some compromises
though.
It would also be OK for the student to do majority of the work on the
buildbot side under the main mentor from buildbot and being
co-mentored from our side to make sure that our needs are met. In that
case the majority of the development could easily be done on another
OS, but we would definitely need to find the main mentor from the
buildbot community first.

Mojca