GSoC 2018: Interested in Improving startup item code

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri Feb 23 09:59:50 UTC 2018

Hi,

----- On 23 Feb, 2018, at 05:34, Thomas R. Murphy trm70 at case.edu wrote:

> To throw some lack of XCode experience out there, I've been running with
> only the command line tools installed for a while. I get the warning
> about possibly failing to build ports each time* I try to
> install/upgrade something, but it's still working just fine. However, I
> have had the whole of XCode installed at some point.
>
> * Warning text: former is once per run, latter is on every port being
> processed
> Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
> Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely
> fail to build.
>
> Thomas R. Murphy (thomas.russell.murphy at case.edu, trm70 at case.edu)
> GPG Key ID: 959D48BF
> On 2018-02-22 22:18:18, Jackson Isaac wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:07 AM, Abhishek Singh Bisht
>> <abhisinghbisht04 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Jackson,
>>>
>>> Thanks for taking time, I appreciate it. Will proceed as you said. Also i
>>> was thinking wether or not it’d be feasible to remove all dependencies on
>>> Xcode? I mean shouldn’t the command line tools suffice? I read that some
>>> ports mandatorily require Xcode, but is there any possibility?
>>>
>> Yes Xcode-clt should suffice for most of the ports. Some ports may
>> depend on XCode itself though.
>>
>> I am not sure if any port can be built even without xcode itself. But
>> anyways we would like to minimize the dependency on the XCode package
>> as such which is 6-7GB for every update they release.
>>
>> Probably Clemens can share some insights ?

Most ports will build fine. Some will not. GUI software is a good candidate
for failure.

The GSoC task would be to provide a method to declare this implicit dependency
in Portfiles so that we could stop showing this warning for every installation,
recommend to only install the command line tools and bail out if a port
requires Xcode but it is not installed.

This could probably be done together with rule adaptions for trace mode to hide
Xcode if a dependency was not declared, so port maintainers had a simple way to
test whether their port uses Xcode.

--
Clemens Lang