GSOC 2018

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Mar 1 21:13:18 UTC 2018

On 1 March 2018 at 21:56, Umesh Singla  wrote:
> Hi
>
> You are welcome to select multiple ideas provided you're able to communicate
> about it with mentors and propose on time. Only the best one proposal will
> be selected.

I must strongly disagree here.

OK, sure, the student *could* prepare multiple fully worked out
proposals, *but*:
- This means a lot of wasted effort when only one could be implemented
at the end.
- Projects will be selected based on student's ability to prove he/she
is able to complete the project + quality of proposal and
communication with community. I fail to see how writing multiple
proposals for the same org would increase the chances of that student
being selected.
- It is highly unlikely that the same student could prepare an
excellent proposal A and a bad proposal B (without being able to judge
about the quality himself/herself).

That said, of course the student can start discussing multiple ideas
over the coming month to get a better overview of what exactly is
needed and to get a better feeling about the best fit, both in terms
of mentor, skillset etc. But when final proposal is submitted, I fail
to see any added value in submitting multiple ones.

In case many excellent students submit a proposal for exactly the same
idea, it could help to pick something else, but that's up to mentors
to communicate to students early enough.

The idea is also not 100% set in stone after the summer begins if both
student and mentor agree to change of plans.

> Generally it's better to pay attention to understand one project's
> requirements and expectations to get started with a community.

Indeed.

Mojca