[macports-ports] branch master updated: libcaer: new port

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Sat Mar 3 06:50:35 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 10:25:47PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>On 1 March 2018 at 20:23, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 08:40:51 -0800 Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>> CI is not sufficient testing to commit, sadly.
>>>
>>> There is no xcode 9 in travis at present.
>>> misses many things, like liscence etc
>>> doesn't check if destrooting is right
>>>
>>> It's OK for a minor version update of an existing port, but all new
>>> ports or sig updates need to checked out locally, port lint
>>> nitpicked, looked over carefully, build with trace mode,
>>> destrooted, and installed before commiting....
>>>
>>> and all that will only find 80% of the problems.
>>>
>>> The rest show up on the builbots after the commit.
>>
>> Looking over things carefully seems reasonable. A machine can't
>> figure out that a Portfile should be written differently.
>>
>> Having to build locally in several ways seems bad. The purpose of
>> automatic CI infrastructure is to free people from needing to do
>> such things, both because it reduces labor and because it reduces
>> error. The latter is the really important bit. Manual process is
>> error prone.
>
>I semi-agree with both. There's certainly more that a committer can do
>before clicking the button, but there's also more we could do on the
>CI side to help avoiding doing the same mistakes over and over again.
>
>Travis should probably list all the destrooted/installed files at the
>end of the run, along with permissions (rwx). Zero, would you be
>willing to add that to the log?

Let's discuss this during the meeting, I also have to check why it
failed to upload logs to the pastebin. From
https://travis-ci.org/macports/macports-ports/jobs/348478666#L316, it
seems to be a permission problem. Do we keep HTTP logs for
paste.macports.org? Checking the logs around that time (or start a new
build and analyze) should help.

--
Best regards,
Zero King