[macports-base] 14/18: fetch: Remove svn.method option

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Mar 20 08:57:55 UTC 2018

On 20 March 2018 at 02:32, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Note: this commit is to the vcs-fetch branch, not to master.
>
> On Mar 18, 2018, at 19:20, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Rainer Müller (raimue) pushed a commit to branch vcs-fetch
>> in repository macports-base.
>>

>> https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commit/718a2072dad40298b01285de418edf5d9682b5da
>>
>> commit 718a2072dad40298b01285de418edf5d9682b5da
>>
>> Author: Rainer Müller
>> AuthorDate: Mon Mar 19 00:37:00 2018 +0100
>>
>>     fetch: Remove svn.method option
>>
>>     The executed command should not be configurable, as it is defined by the
>>     fetch code. Other methods could interfere the tarball creation.
>
> Obviously, this will break the ports that currently override svn.method.
>
> $ find . -name Portfile|xargs grep -E '^[[:space:]]*svn\.((pre_|post_)?args|method)(-append|-delete|-replace)?'
> ./games/PCLauncher/Portfile:svn.method                  checkout
> ./graphics/netpbm/Portfile:svn.method          checkout
> ./graphics/netpbm/Portfile:svn.post_args-append \
> ./graphics/netpbm/Portfile:    svn.args-replace    ${svn.method} update
> ./graphics/netpbm/Portfile:    svn.args-replace    ${svn.url} -r${svn.revision}
> ./graphics/netpbm/Portfile:    svn.args-append     advanced userguide
> ./graphics/netpbm/Portfile:    svn.post_args-delete \
> ./irc/irssi-devel/Portfile:svn.method          checkout
> ./lang/rpcgen-mt/Portfile:svn.pre_args-append --ignore-keywords
> ./science/emergent/Portfile:svn.args        --username anonymous --password emergent
> ./science/emergent/Portfile:svn.method      checkout
> ./science/flashdot/Portfile:svn.method        checkout
>

> netpbm is the most complicated one, tweaking the arguments and commands in order to first check out a sparse working copy and then to update only the two directories we want.

Making a sparse copy from subversion repository could probably be
supported in the base instead of having to do ugly workarounds with
modifying svn.method. For example

    svn.sparse_checkout-append advanced userguide doc/hello

Username and password could also be specified in a separate keyword if
needed and simply appended when non-empty (but maybe svn.args don't
interfere and there's no need to do anything right now).

I doubt that vcs-fetch would need any substantial changes to support that.

(I don't know how exactly the ports using checkout instead of export
would be affected.)

> but I'll be sad to see the flexibility of fetching from svn in MacPorts reduced.

Mojca