How we announce MacPorts changes

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 21 13:00:02 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-21 13:12, db wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2018, at 12:49, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>> Apparently you care a lot about these details. As you are already actively following the mailing lists and commit logs, feel free to prepare a weekly newsletter of the important changes to the ports tree.
>
> I'd rather follow irregular updates (see linuxbrew updates issue on GH) and check first updated technical documentation,

At this point I really do not know what to make of your posts in this
thread.

You were asking for a list of changes in a release. We pointed you to
the ChangeLog, but you told us that you would merely skim it. And now
you tell me, you would prefer to read even longer technical documentation...

You keep suggesting the Linuxbrew GitHub issue as an example. However,
99% of the posts in this issue consist of just "Linuxbrew X.Y.Z has been
released!". Then follows a link to the ChangeLog.

This is exactly what our post to macports-announce or the news section
on the website contain: a link to the ChangeLog. The notes for MacPorts
releases on GitHub now even have a copy of the relevant ChangeLog section.

Furthermore, Linuxbrew is using an issue on GitHub to post
announcements. How does this even make any sense? Why would you prefer
following this over just subscribing to a mailing list or following an
RSS feed?

> than follow two mailing lists.

Not sure what you mean by this. I suggested that *you* write the
newsletter. Make it a "blog post" or "news feed", or even a "issue
comment". Nobody is holding you back. Of course the weekly interval was
just a suggestion; that is up to you as the author.

Rainer