GSoC-Announcements distributed over the ports tree

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Mar 24 12:57:05 UTC 2018

On 24 March 2018 at 11:52, Abhishek Kashyap wrote:
> Hi
> port news command will work after running selfupdate.
> I want to confirm that code will be implemented in proc action_selfupdate {
> action portlist opts } section.
> Please respond soon as deadline is near.

I'm sorry for not being able to help more (I'm not familiar with the
code well enough), but selfupdate is certainly not sufficient in
itself.
(Some people never run selfupdate, I believe, they just run sync or
just update via git or make on regular basis, but I'm not sure about
the proper way to handle those situations.)

If there's a news that should be displayed to all users who have port
foo installed, the news should be displayed when the user installs
that port for example (if that piece of news is still relevant). I can
imagine many other similar scenarios that need some
thinking/brainstorming. In any case this should probably be
implemented as some "standalone" module that gets called after the end
of selfupdate, after packages have been installed (after port notes)
etc.

Unrelated to your question: please note that when applying for GSOC
you should also be able to "prove" your fitness for the task by either
submitting some pull requests or showing some proof-of-concept code,
showing references to projects you did in the past or anything else in
that direction. This is an important aspect besides the application
itself (which also needs to have a well-defined timeline, milestones
etc.) And keep in mind that the deadline is meant as a "pencils-down"
deadline. It's generally not a good idea to submit in last moment
because you then have no way to make any corrections after you get
some feedback.

Mojca