GSoC-Announcements distributed over the ports tree

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Mar 24 13:21:33 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-24 11:52, Abhishek Kashyap wrote:
> *port news* command will work after running *selfupdate.*
> I want to confirm that code will be implemented in procaction_selfupdate
> { action portlist opts } section.

Note there is both 'port selfupdate' and 'port sync', where the former
updates the base installation as well as getting the latest ports trees.
How you implement it depends a lot on when you want to show the
notification that news are available.

It definitely needs a new API in macports1.0 to check for unread items,
so the port client can poll it, for example when using a 'port news'
command.

Now after running any of selfupdate or sync, the port client should also
show the count of unread news items. Maybe it also make sense to show
this after a port install. We could also use polling in the port client
for that, or notify the port client from macports1.0 with a ui_news_*
about unread items after syncing instead of forcing the port client to
poll (thinking of the potential GUI here again).

In your proposal, show us that you understood the functionality that is
going to be added and what the behavior would be for users. While you
should have a plan how you are going to implement it and show what is
going to be in the port client and what in the macports1.0 API, you do
not have to list the exact places where you are going to add code.

Rainer