Blacklisting gcc

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 21:45:23 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-27, at 2:40 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

>> But I would instead propose that MacPorts never puts forward a compiler that can't handle c++14 at this point in time instead.
>
> Agreed, but what about c++17 ? And then the next standard, and so on. This is an issue that isn’t going to go away with just 11, or 14...

My suggestion: Any time more than 5 or 10 % of the ports require a newer standard, bump it for everyone across the board to stay ahead of the curve.

If we did this, only a few ports with the very latest compiler needs should need to blacklist anything (and they probably always will, if they are that cutting edge).

Best,

Ken