Blacklisting gcc

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 28 11:40:02 UTC 2018

On Mar 27, 2018, at 09:43, Benjamin Redelings wrote:

> Following on to this question, how does a port require a c++ compiler that supports c++14?
>
> Currently, in science/bali-phy I use the following, which is similar to editors/textmate2 and games/gdash.
>
> # Needs support for -std=c++14.
> compiler.blacklist  {clang < 602}
>
> I see that gdash uses blacklist-append, which is probably better.

Yes, please. In addition to including the cxx11 1.1 portgroup.

> For reference, homebrew allows "needs :cxx14".  Please do not smite me for mentioning homebrew.
>
> I suppose there could be a c++14 portgroup?

There has been prior discussion, in which I proposed that MacPorts base should offer a configure.something option or options where a port can specify which C and/or C++ language standard it requires. The cxx11 1.1 portgroup, and in future MacPorts base itself, could then be modified to blacklist compilers that do not support that language standard. I still think that's a good idea.

There should *not* be a separate cxx14 portgroup. That would be unnecessary duplication of code.