Instructions for creating patches (Re: trac rrdtool)

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Thu May 3 07:14:40 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 08:51:49AM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>On 1 May 2018 at 16:11, Rainer Müller wrote:
>>
>> The guide uses "Portfile-rrdtool.diff" as an example filename [1]. Some
>> users seem to take that literally and submit patches with that name.
>>
>> [1] https://guide.macports.org/#development.patches.portfile
>
>Looking at this part of the guide, I would suggest that we change the
>instructions. It almost definitely makes more sense to use "git diff
>..." instead of "diff ...", but more importantly we probably want to
>suggest creating a pull request at that point anyway.

Some contributors would edit the Portfile in /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports/, which isn't a git repository and `git diff` won't work for them.

Maybe "git format-patch -1" is better than "git diff ..."? But that
would be even closer to a pull request.

--
Zero