Instructions for creating patches

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat May 5 16:05:28 UTC 2018

> On May 4, 2018, at 3:33 PM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>

> Maybe the instructions on how to create a local ports tree should come
> first and then the next section should show how to create a diff against
> the official ports tree?
>
> Instructions on how to create a pull request would overlap with the
> section "Using Git and GitHub" [1]. We should only document this in one
> place.

For new users who want to get started in this, I would suggest we consider no longer recommending diffs. We don’t want people making them anyway. Let’s get people to do what we really want them to do, with git & github:

1. fork the macports/macports-ports repo in github
2. clone it to your hard drive
3. branch it to make a change
4. cd into the port directory and make your changes
5. "sudo port -v install" to build the local Portfile rather than the one in the repo
6. make a PR when you’re done

and pretty much skip everything else regarding diffs, as it’s just extra work for us and noise for them.

On a similar topic, for making patches from source IMHO we should consider recommending michael’s workflow, as nothing has ever worked better for me:

1. go to `port work PORTNAME`
2. chmod -R a+rw .
3. cd into the source, init the git repo, add all the files, and commit them
4. make changes in source
5. sudo port -v -o -k destroot
6. repeat 4 & 5 until it builds correctly
7. git diff —no-prefix > ~/patch-my-broken-port.diff

and then how to use and test that.

Ken