Question about MacPorts project membership application

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Sun May 13 16:54:22 UTC 2018

On 13 May 2018 at 09:30, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
> Dear Chih-Hsuan Yen,
>
> On 13 May 2018 at 16:37, Chih-Hsuan Yen wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Perry Metzger suggests me to apply for MacPorts project membership on two of
>> my pull requests [1][2], so I wrote a letter "Commit access: Chih-Hsuan Yen"
>> to macports-mgr at lists.macports.org 5 days ago, following tips listed on the
>> official guide [3]. However, there has not been any reply since then. Am I
>> doing things right?
>
> I don't have access to emails sent to portmgr, but this ticket might
> be relevant (since very recently):
>     https://trac.macports.org/ticket/56052
>
> The portmgr team might need some time to check the contributions and
> verify candidate's suitability for commit rights, but maybe they
> forgot to send you a preliminary confirmation of receiving your
> request and were simply waiting for the votes to arrive.

The timeline for my request was as follows.

2017-12-16 - Initial request
2017-12-21 - ping
2018-01-02 - ping
2018-01-07 - ping
2018-01-08 - first response / confirmation of receipt
2018-01-29 - acceptance (woot!)

Note that it was during the new-years so it might be slower than
typical. This is reconstructed from my email so apologies to the team
if I missed anything.

If there is one thing I wish that would change is a confirmation of
receipt earlier on. In the FreeBSD project we solve this issue by
having a dedicated (typically non-voting) secretary.

--
Eitan Adler