environment settings

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Nov 26 06:00:45 UTC 2018

On Nov 25, 2018, at 19:15, Mark Brethen wrote:

> I used placeholders in the makefile then passed the environment variables using reinplace statements. That worked, however I’m getting a make: lib/darwin16/libtaucs.a: Permission denied. Sounds like I need to change the permissions after extracting the source. Is there a tar flag for that?

No that's not the reason. What the log actually says is:

:info:build lib/darwin16/libtaucs.a
:info:build make: lib/darwin16/libtaucs.a: Permission denied
:info:build make: *** [lib/darwin16/libtaucs.a] Error 1

In other words, it's trying to execute lib/darwin16/libtaucs.a as if it were a program. It's a library, not a program, and because of that, it doesn't have the execute bit, and because of that, you get the message that permission is denied. But the real problem to fix is: why is it trying to run a library as if it were a program?

I also see from the log that the C compiler is being invoked as "cc" instead of the value of of ${configure.cc}.